Chilblains are small, itchy and painful inflammations that occur on the skin due to cold weather conditions. Some things that can be done to help alleviate chilblains are:
- Keep the affected area warm: Warm the area gently and gradually to prevent further damage. Avoid sudden exposure to heat, as this may cause more pain and inflammation. Wear warm socks.
- Elevate the affected area: Elevating the affected area can help reduce swelling and improve blood circulation.
- Avoid scratching the affected area: Scratching can increase the inflammation and cause infection.
- Apply topical creams or ointments: Topical creams or ointments containing corticosteroids or antihistamines can help reduce inflammation and relieve itching.
- Wear warm clothing: Wear warm, dry clothing and avoid exposure to cold and damp conditions.
- Use moisturizers: Apply moisturizers to keep the skin hydrated and prevent cracking (eg Akileine Akilwinter).
- Seek medical attention or see a podiatrist: If the chilblains are severe, persistent, or infected, seek medical attention from a doctor or healthcare provider. They may recommend additional treatment options such as medications or topical treatments. Chilblains can be managed adequately if the right care is given.